What is Angry Birds?
This popular game, developed by Rovio Mobile Ltd, is an app that GameFront has called a “cultural phenomenon.” 1 This simple, single player game involves aiming and firing a slingshot loaded with a bird at structures with the intent of crushing the pigs inside them. 2 Despite having over two hundred short stages, or levels, of pigs to conquer, the game play does not change; still it captivates its players with charming graphics and sounds. 3 4
Angry Birds was the top iPhone paid App in 2011 throughout the world, and its average review score was a 4.78/5. 5 It is compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. However, it can also be downloaded with the browser, Google Chrome, thus making it available to a broader audience.
Concerns for Parents
- The game can be addictive. 6 7 At the beginning, the stages are quick to complete; nevertheless, they become increasingly difficult—taking a lot of time to finish.
- While Angry Birds is clean, other free and inappropriate apps can easily be downloaded.
How Can I Keep My Child Safe?
- Be aware of what your child downloads and plays.
- Consider viewing Apple’s App Rating System
- Consider establishing time limits on your child’s game playing.