What is Zynga?
Mark Pincus founded Zynga Game Network in 2007 with the intent of people interacting socially through gaming. Zynga manufactures a variety of Social Network Games available through Facebook, MySpace, iPhone, and My Yahoo. Some of the more popular games include FarmVille, FishVille, Cafe World, and Mafia Wars. Zynga also provides forums where users can discuss the games and ask questions.
Zynga sponsors Zynga.org, which uses funds raised from Zynga’s game tokens (available for purchase throughout their games) for nonprofit, international organizations. Currently, Zynga.org is focusing on aiding the victims of the earthquake in Haiti and building a new school for the children.
Concerns for Parents
- Zynga’s games can become addicting for children.
- Children may want to purchase tokens to buy items within games via microtransactions.
- Options exist within the game to start games with random other users who you do not know; these other users may do or say inappropriate or dangerous things.
How Can I Keep My Child Safe?
- Limit the amount of time your child spends on the computer or playing games.
- Make sure all credit card account numbers and passwords are private.
- Advise your children to not start or accept games from unknown users.
- Playing games online can lead to online gaming addiction.
Where Can I Learn More?
A New York Times article about the company’s growth.